Below you will find links to further information about the Moken, divided into general info, media coverage, photo galleries, books, and audio. For details on groups working directly with the Moken, please click HERE
- Andaman Pilot Project – Well researched information about the Moken from Chulalongkorn University. The site also has links to media coverage of the Moken up to 2009.
- Indigenous People and Parks: The Surin Islands – Published by UNESCO in 2001, this report details the environmental and socio-cultural settings and challenges of Koh Surin.
Media Coverage – Recommended
- The vanishing sea tribe, Al Jazeera 2014
- No Word Worry, Project Moken 2014
- The Moken and Modernity, Aeon Magazine 2013
- Moken leave behind sea life, Gaurdian 2012
- Moken and Globalisation, IRAP 2012
- Stranded, Cultural Survival 2008
- Survival International Moken gallery by Cat Vinton, whose great images are on this website
- BBC Moken photo gallery by Sofie Olsen
- Vanishing Cultures Gallery by Tyler Weidman
We recommend ‘Courage of the Sea – Last Stand of the Moken‘, the 2013 book by Tom Henley and Jeo and Jok Klathalay. Below are links to anthropologist Jacques Ivanoff’s work:
- A Journey Through the Mergui Archipelago 2002
- Rings of Coral: Moken Folktales 2002
- Moken and Semang 2005
- The Moken Boat Symbolic Technology 1999
- Moken: Sea-Gypsies of the Andaman Sea 1997
- Moken folk song – recorded in 2010 at the Thailand Cultural Center.
- British Library Moken Music CD – 2001 recording by Tom Vater, produced by the British Library. Sound Archive’s World & Traditional Music Section with Topic Records
News Media Coverage – Further reading