Below you will find links to further information about the Moken, divided into general info, media coverage, photo galleries, books, and audio. For details on groups working directly with the Moken, please click HERE
Media Coverage – Articles and Videos
- Andaman Pilot Project – Well researched information about the Moken from Chulalongkorn University. The site also has links to media coverage of the Moken up to 2009.
- Indigenous People and Parks: The Surin Islands – Published by UNESCO in 2001, this report details the environmental and socio-cultural settings and challenges of Koh Surin.
- Project Moken – the Norwegian organization behind the movie No Word For Worry starring Moken man Hook on his quest to continue the Moken legacy of Kabang building. Project Moken continues to support the Moken by organizing trips for documentary film makers that benefit both the Moken and their culture.
- Moken Alive Museum – the modern solution to share the extensive research on the Moken done by three generations of French anthropologists.
We recommend ‘Courage of the Sea – Last Stand of the Moken‘, the 2013 book by Tom Henley and Jeo and Jok Klathalay. Below are links to anthropologist Jacques Ivanoff’s work:
- Moken folk song – recorded in 2010 at the Thailand Cultural Center.
- British Library Moken Music CD – 2001 recording by Tom Vater, produced by the British Library. Sound Archive’s World & Traditional Music Section with Topic Records